[Chrysler300] Chrysler C300 tires and "brakes".

[Chrysler300] Chrysler C300 tires and "brakes".

Original tires on C300's were 8.00x15 Goodyear BlueStreak nylon racing tires
with 3" wide WSW--no longer available and a very unusual size.

Based on long diatribes, it appears many of our members have strong
convictions on replacement tires with most swearing by the appearance and
performance of radial tires.  P225 or P235 75/R15's are available from
several vendors, including Diamond Back Classics ww w.dbtires.com  Several
have also report poor performance from brand C****r tires in radial or bias
ply.  The only other bias ply 8.00x15 3" WSW I have seen is a good-looking
General Dual 90 sold by Lucas Automotive w ww.lucasclassictires.com

On my C-300, I have a 15-year-old set of Remington L78-15 bias ply polyester
cord tube-type tires mounted on a set of factory-option MotorWheel wire
wheels.  The tires only have several thousand miles on them and I am advised
I am living on borrowed time with them.  I did inspect the tires and
installed new tubes when they were mounted.  The tires looked and smelled
new.  I have seen a number of these old Remingtons on '50's Chryslers and
they seem to do well.  They do "hunt" a little when encountering road
irregularities such as grooves or troughs.  Everything drove like that in
the 50's and it does keep you awake.  The Firestone 500's, Goodyear Blue
Streaks and other nylon tires generally flat spot after each sitting--the
polyester cord tires do not seem to do this.

Bottom line:  For a driver, the radials look good and drive better.  For a
closely judged car, the bias ply tires are authentic and look right, too.
They all cost about 1.5 to twice too much.  If you are running wire wheels,
tubes are a good bet as it is diffcult to seal the holes where the spokes
fit through.  Be sure to get radial tubes if you use radial tires.

On another matter, I just returned from the Benicia, CA Car show with the
usual paucity of MoPar iron.  A nice '48 Chrysler Traveler did take first in
its class.  There was also an attractive black 1962 Sport 300 with red
interior.  Best of show was parked next to me.  '57 Chev (150 2-dr.),
Corvette engine and F&R suspension (all chrome), ostrich leather interior &
trunk.  I always do get favorable comments and recognition with my car at
these local shows, but brand loyalty is strong and the judging was by the
entrants.  Weather and view both wonderful with a site on the waterfront
between I80 and I680 bridges.

On still another matter, my 1955 C-300 is acting like there is NO BOOST from
the Kelsey-Hayes booster.  Before I tear into it, is there any linkage
adjustment between pedal and booster that might need attention?  The pedal
is firm at the top, but takes considerable 2-foot pressure to bring the car
to a stop.  The booster body holds vacuum and I disassembled the check valve
and cleaned the little rubber check plunger.  All new wheel cyl. and shoes
2,000 miles back.  No apparent leaks of vacuum or brake fluid.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 C-300