[Chrysler300] Engine Rebuild Time

Hello, Club Members,

After getting my ram K together and finally starting to have some fun with
it, it started making strange noises.  The usual culprits were ruled out (water
pump, torque converter).  The oil was drained and metal was found in the oil.
It was diagnosed as a spun bearing, and the recommendation is to pull the
engine and have it rebuilt.

I'll be taking apart and re-assembling as much of the engine as I can to save
labor $.  I expect to be having questions to ask you as this progresses.

The first question is, what should I ask the rebuilder to do that a competent
engine builder might not do on an engine such as this?  In other words, are
there any tricks of the trade that might not get done in a standard rebuild?

Also, I remember someone mentioning something about special timing on ram
engines, maybe cam timing, something about 2 degrees.  Ring any bells?

Also, is it absolutely necessary to pull and rebuild an otherwise strong and
solid engine when the bearings go bad?  It should be noted that the mechanics
that recommended the rebuild are not doing the work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

George Clineman

Yahoo! Groups Links