Re: [Chrysler300] 1966 300 TNT's

 HI DAN, THE INFORMATION I HAVE, ARE THE CODES, & INTERPRETATION OF CODES, BY
CHRYSLER. THEY ARE NOT PEOPLES OPINIONS, ASSUMPTIONS, OR FEELINGS. YOU CANNOT
APPLY A PLYMOUTH CODE AS A CHRYSLER CODE OR VICE VERSA. I DID LOOK INTO
PLYMOUTH CODES FOR 1966 & FOUND, THAT IN 1966 K WAS THE CODE FOR THE SPECIAL ORDER
440, NOT THE 383. OTHER YEARS HAVE DIFFERENT CODES. CHRYSLER DISTINGUISHES ITS
440 & TNT 440, WITH J & K RESPECTIVELY. I CHECKED BRUTE FORCE & FIND THAT
ISSUE IS A YEAR OLD. I'D LIKE TO SEE IT. GALEN GOVIER CAN DETERMINE IF YOUR CAR,
IS INDEED, A 440 TNT. HE CAN BE CONTACTED @GALEN'S TAG SERVICE, LLC, 37260
SAND BURR LANE-DEPT MCG, PRAIRIE DU CHIEN, WI 53821-8869  OR 608-326-6346. I HAVE
AN OPEN MIND, SHOW ME SOMETHING FROM CHRYSLER STATING, WHAT THE 440 TNT CODE
WAS. SEEING IS BELIEVING.           STEVE ESTOK, PUNTA GORDA, FL

> Recently, there was a thread concerning the letter "J" in the VIN number of
> 1966 Chrysler 300 cars with apparently TNT engine packages installed.  I
> felt
> that the assumption by some that the cars could indeed have the TNT package
> with a "J" was correct.  Others did not and insisted that the letter "K" was
> the
> symbol in the VIN for a TNT package.  As I mentioned previously, I have seen
>
> at least 8 1966 300's with TNT packages and all had the letter "J" in the
> VIN.
>
> Merle Wolfer, a longtime member of the Chrysler 300 Club, Brute Force
> editor,
> club historian and librarian, called my attention to an issue of Brute Force
>
> published earlier this year which featured the 1966 300's.  In it was a copy
>
> of Chrysler Bulletin, No. 66-1, denoting which letters went with which
> engines.
> The "J" is for a "440 Cubic Inch Displacement" engine whereas the "K" if for
>
> a "Special Order 8 Cylinder."  The definition of "J" does not define whether
>
> it is a standard 440 or a TNT.  I asked Merle what he felt "Special Order 8
> Cylinder" meant.  His response to me was that, for example, if someone
> ordered a
> 383HP for a Plymouth, or some such other combination which was not a normal
> option, it would be designated a "K".
>
> Additionally, the article presented two (2) copies of build sheets showing
> two (2) 300's which were sold with the letter "J" in the VIN and with the
> option, 358, for the TNT package.  If the TNT package only came with a "K"
> in the
> VIN, it follows that these build sheets would have the "K" in the VIN shown
> at
> the top right hand of the page.
>
> Merle also suggested that the fender tag may contain the option 358 number.
>
> I checked the tag on my car and it does not contain any numbers which appear
>
> on the build sheets, although my car has most of the options listed.  My tag
>
> does contain the SO Number, Body, Trim and Paint codes.  I also checked with
> Gil
> Cuningham and, unfortunately, he cannot decode the other numbers on my 1966
> fender tag.
>
> Here is what Merle said in his e-mail to a fellow member with a cc to me:
>
> "First the letter 'K' has nothing to do with 400 (he meant 440) T-N-T
> engines. 'K' denotes "Special Order 8 cylinder". That is per Chrysler's own
> publication (see service bulletin 66-1). Cars with 'J' in the serial
> number can be 440 T-N-T cars. (See Brute Force Magazine Vol. 35 No.2
> pages 18-19) The real test of a car is the fender tag. The factory code
> for 440 T-N-T Performance Package is 358. This will tell you how the car
> was equipped. This package retailed for $303.70 in 1966. Hope this helps

> the discussion."
>
> The bulletin and build sheets can be seen at:
> [...]

Yahoo! Groups Links