[Chrysler300] Short Cranks, 55 C-300 Model

[Chrysler300] Short Cranks, 55 C-300 Model

Thanks to my new friends for the quick overnight responses.  My car is
parked elsewhere, so I haven't been able to pull a short crank to see
its part number.  John Peabody raises an interesting question regarding
placement front and rear.  I kind of assumed the shorter cranks were in
the back as the torque to raise and lower the smaller windows should be
lower.  Anyone with a four door might check their (window) crank lengths
and report in-re, front and back length.  Narve indicates '55 & '56
cranks are different, but my parts book indicates the same part number
for both years-front and back 1602529 (Chrysler and Imperial the same,
DeSoto different).  The game is afoot!  This all started with my
interest in an e-Bay auction for a couple of window cranks with part
number 1602529--that does not appear in my 1955-58 parts book.  I have
asked the seller to confirm the number, but have not yet heard back.
The handles look to match the ones on my 1955 front doors.  Ref.:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8024771995&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1

Supposedly for 1955-59 Chry & Imp.  Hopefully, the red tone is from the
lighting source.  No bids yet.

Like Narve, I could use a good shiny short pair if anyone has some
spares.  The two-piece riveted construction seems like it would be
difficult to replate these.  I'm assuming fabrications always have to be
disassembled for rechroming.

"Dang you are getting snoopy.  Rear cranks are normally shorter on
hardtops or just 2 doors in those years.  My 49's are that way and so
are 55's.

Have a Merry Christmas--- and even a happy new year.   Would be easier
back here where the living is good though!!!

Terry Hoemann-Nebraska"

RICH, MINE ARE BACKWARDS FROM YOURS. It looks like you need the shorter
crank on the door for clearance from the door handle. I'm wondering how
the four doors are arranged.

John Peabody, Pennsylvania

Rich,
My 56 Windsor conv. and 56 Desoto Firedome 2 Dr htp have shorter handles
in the rear. It seems logical that yours would also.
John Baker
Malabar Fl.

You are correct. Should be standard Chrysler (and probably DeSoto) issue,
and any model (Windsor/NewY) would fit. 56 are different. If you stumble
upon any lot, I need two short ones without pits (or very few).

Merry Christmas,

Narve in Norway (one inch snow on the fields, slippery roads)

Santa came early this morning as UPS delivered a Tango Red 1955 C-300 1:18 scale model, made by Motor Max in China.  Other markings on the underside include: No. 73160  Scale 1:18  Chrysler* C300 *  DaimlerChrysler 2005  (*=Registered and Copyright circles).  I got it at an e-Bay auction for $14.99 plus $10 S&H.  Price about right for the quality.  I could go on and on about the imperfections, but even the many flaws fail to significantly diminish the timeless beauty of the design of this car.  I think the red even approximates the kind of orangey-Tango Red.  At about 12.1" long, 4.3" wide and 3.3" high the overall 1:18 scale is proper.

The underside shows proper dual exhaust (in silver, not black), but with a muffler and a resonator on each side.  My 1:18 Maisto 300B also shows this configuration.  I'm learning here.  Is this proper?  If so, no wonder my single Flowmasters didn't cut it with the concours judges.

I have not yet received the black C-300 I ordered from Fairfield Mint ($29.99 + S&H) so cannot confirm this is the same manufacturer.  I see e-Bay is now full of Black and Tango Red C-300 models, so the first container load must have arrived.  I asked one vendor if a white/Platinum model was available and got back a cursory note that these had not yet been released--so maybe?

Anyway, the Tango C-300 will look good under the Christmas tree and, later, on the mantle with my other C-300 models now in 1:18, 1:25, 1:43 and 1:64 scale.  I much prefer my 1:1 scale, but it won't fit on my mantle, except as a picture.

Merry Christmas to all and thanks to all for that helped me learn more about our common passion for these beautiful brutes this year.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 C-300