[Chrysler300] TIRES, IN GENERAL

Steve:

I have been in discussion with Lucas Automotive-Long Beach, CA
1-800-952-4333  & Springfield, Ohio 1-800-735-0166 on their General Dual
90 8.00-15 bias-ply 3" WSW.  $147.  WSW width is proper for my 1955
C-300--perhaps a little wide for your G??.  These are new tires,
apparently made from old molds and at the same place their vintage
Goodyear's come from.  $147 each.  The Dual 90's were top of the line
tires in the '40's and '50's and had an attractive tread and sidewall.
A note in their catalog indicates "other General tires with various
whitewall widths and stripes available, please call".  They do show
Goodyear classic radials with  2-3/4" WSW.  They do have 7.60-15
(2-3/4") and 7.75-15 (31`/32" & 5/8") Goodyears.

I take this opportunity to ask if any others have experience with Lucas
in general and these General tires, specifically.  They may be the last
remaining business in the USA that is not on line.  No e-mail, no
website--just a very knowledgeable guy on the phone.  Not a bad thing.
Now if they would just find the molds for the 8.00-15 Goodyear Blue
Streaks.

In my search for proper tires for my C-300, I did run across fresh
8.00-15 Goodyear Blue Streaks on line and thought "eureka!".  Turns out
they are replica vintage racing tires meant for an 8" rim!!  BTW, the
Blue Streak apparently comes from the appearance of a blue dot in the
WSW that turns into a blue streak at 128 mph.

Additional info:  fellow member Larry Jett and I attended a car show at
the Church of the Redwoods in Castro Valley, CA last Saturday.
Registration was free and included free breakfast, lunch and testimony
of a Christian rodder in the sanctuary after lunch and before the
trophies.  I just got a nice letter from the pastor thanking me for
coming and included a 4" x 6" color photo of me and my car.  No charge
to the public, lunch was $6 to the public-prepared by the church
members.  Very well attended with very interesting and eclectic group of
cars and trucks.  It is a very effective outreach program in its seventh
year.  Larry got another trophy for his beautiful C rag and I was able
to give him the trophy I picked up for him last weekend at a Mopar Rally
in Fremont after he had to leave early.

I also calibrated my newly-rebuilt gas tank sending unit on the way to
the show. 1/8 tank=E!

C-300'ly,

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA (had a little rain yesterday-rare for June, record cool
for the day, puffy white clouds over Mt. Diablo today-70 degrees at noon)
1955 C-300 (Riding high on 15-year-old Remington L-78-15's, 3' WSW's,
tube-type on wire wheels)

xramkroozer@xxxxxx wrote:

>HI ALL, WHILE SHOPPING FOR A SPARE FOR MY "G" I NOTICED THERE IS NO MAJOR
>MANUFACTURER MAKING AN 8:00 X 15 TIRE IN VINTAGE BIAS PLY. COKER MAKES ONE IN
>THEIR BRAND. SINCE COKER DOESN'T CARRY GOOD YEAR, DOES GOOD YEAR MAKE AN 8:00 X
>15, VINTAGE BIAS PLY IN 2 1/2 " WW? THANX IN ADVANCE, STEVE ESTOK, IN 90 &
>STEAMY, PUNTA GORDA, FL

Yahoo! Groups Links