From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of lettercars@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 3:43 AM
To: js23rob@xxxxxxx; Jwsacks4@xxxxxxxxx; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] heater core removal question

In a message dated 6/12/2005 5:14:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
js23rob@xxxxxxx writes:

> There is a bracket rod that runs from the top part of the heater box
> the bottom of the dash to the left of the glove box area, that is what
> they mean. Remove your glove box guts as well to gain better access to
> the box. All of your vent tubes should be disconnected and removed as
> well. The heater core can be removed from the car without taking the
> whole box assembly out of the machine but it will mean spending a bit
of
> time on your back under the dash. Remove the front seats for more room
> and then you can take the carpets out to clean them at the same time.
> removing the ashtray assembly and radio help give more room as well.
You
> can clean carpets with a good cleaner and a hose, then hang them over
> pole or something to dry. Out here in California they would dry in a
> day, may take some time longer though in a wetter climate.  Kind of a
> crappy job but not the end of the world to do.
> Lee in San Diego
> 66 300, 482cid, 4sp car.

Hi Jonathan and Lee:
As to exactly how to remove a 1966 heater core, I will defer to Lee who
has
obviously done the job.  However, the terminology in the manual seems
quite
specific, and so I would suspect there must be a bracket from the top of
the core
to what some would term the "firewall" (inside of car).  In my years at
Chrysler Engineering, the term firewall was never used for anything.
The metal
structure that separates the inside of the car from the engine
compartment is
properly called the DASHPANEL in Chrysler Corp. cars.  Similarly, the
panel
housing the instruments, radio, glovebox, etc, is the INSTRUMENT PANEL,
never a
"dashpanel".  I know----semantics, but in this case it may have some
relevance.
Plus, it is kind of good to refer to Chrysler components the way
Chrysler did,
isn't it?
300ly, Gil Cunningham

For list server instructions, go to