[Chrysler300] Balancing Act

Warren:

Thanks for the details on balancing.  I do recall your previous input
based on your many years of experience.  As a teen in the mid-50's I
used both the bubble balancer and perhaps a Hunter (?) system that used
an electric motor to spin the wheel on the car and a clamp-on ring with
center controls that added and moved weights.  This was labor and
operator skill intensive, but resulted in a tire/wheel/hub assembly that
was quite well balanced, especially if we used the bubble balancer to
find the heavy sides of rim and tire and place them opposite each other
before using the Hunter machine.  And my buck an hour labor cost did not
drive the price up that much.  I have not found any local shop with the
tools, time and skills to do the job the way I'd like it done on my old
tubed, bias-plied, wired tires.  They just chuck it on to the machine
and let the computer do a great job of dual plane balancing.

As a mechanical engineer charged with operating and maintaining high
speed and low speed rotating equipment, I came to appreciate the
technology allowing precision balancing of rotors and shafts.  Even in
that high-tech world, there was disagreement on the value of low-speed
balancing vs. high speed balancing.  Dimensional changes due to
operating temperatures, rotor dynamics and alignment shifts complicated
the issue but the goal of minimizing vibration to extend service life
was the same on all machines.  So it is with our cars wheels and tires.
If the vibration is not sensed by the operator and passengers, if it
isn't shortening the life of any vehicle component and if it isn't
causing uneven wear on the tire, the balancer has done their job
effectively.  Others have mentioned that tires with flat spots cannot be
balanced.  This is probably inaccurate as the tire may be well balanced,
but still generate vibration as the flat spot hits the road.  My old
nylon Firestone 500's were famous for this in cold weather.  The same
would be true for out-of round tires that would appear to be balanced,
but might generate sensed vibration at highway speed.  Measuring runout
on an inflated tire is easy, but safely grinding off the high spots is
not for amateurs.

Its a wonder we ever get down the road on our maypops, don't you think?
Looks like you are having some cool, wet weather like us today.

300-ly,

Richard Warren Barber
Brentwood, CA (rainy and 52 today)
1955 C-300

Warren Anderson wrote: (Deleted to satisfy the server)

Give the gift of life to a sick child.