Re: [Chrysler300] Cars & Parts Kudos to the Lazenbys

Re: [Chrysler300] Cars & Parts Kudos to the Lazenbys

Hi Rob and all,

First Rob, thanks for the kind words regarding the Imperial.  I've received numerous e-mails and even phone calls regarding the article.  It was a real love, hate project.  My goal was to do the car in less that one year.  It ended up taking over five.  Much more was invested than I originally intended, but then that is always the case.  I've said it will be my last resto, but I've said that before and learned to eat my words.  Also I must extend particular thanks to Ken & Brad Brody (fellow 300 owners and enthusiast) for their never ending help and support.  Without them I don't think the car would have been completed.

When this project came about I had originally thought of doing a '63, '64 or '65 Riviera, a Mark II Continental or a '59 T-Bird.  Those have always been some of my favorite styling exercises.  Shortly after looking into these cars I realized I knew very little about them.  Then I thought about a '55 Imperial as it was mechanically about the same as our Letter Cars for '55 & '56.

A good friend who at one time owned numerous Imperials was selling them off and this was one of the last.  The car was pretty much in pieces and as I found out later some pieces were missing.  I made the buy and the project began.

Once completed to it's present state I can tell you that it is a true please to drive.  It is noticeably different than the Letter cars in ride, handling and performance.  One could say it is like sitting in your living room going down the road.  It is a very pleasant change and I always enjoy getting it out and sharing it with others.  The car always seems to draw a crowd as you just don't see them anymore and certainly not in this condition.

Some details on the car that most would not be aware of are as follows.  Originally the car was all black and had white leather with gold V Cloth inserts, a gold and white dash and gold carpet.  In my opinion the gold was just terrible.  When I purchased the car from John Lloyd he had already purchased most of the leather and had SMS do the black V Cloth.  To our knowledge this was not available from Chrysler and there is only one other car that was a custom built at the factory '55 Imperial Sedan that featured this color cloth.  The white top was also John's idea but it is not Platinum which would have been a stock color.  This is Antique White to match the leather.  The carpet is German Wool that was used in Porsche's.

Years before this car ever came into my life I'd found three Imperial Wire Wheels at a swap meet.  I bought them and simply put them away for that rainy day.  When I made the deal with John I mentioned how I'd like to put a set of wires on it but only had three.  John gave me the extra two to complete the set.  They were taken to Boranni in Los Angeles and completely replated and rebuilt with stainless spokes.  I'm sorry to say that Boranni is no longer in business.  His work was simply superb.

I debated on tires and this was about the last major item purchased for the car.  Radials were considered for the driveability, but I have a tough time with the look.  Also the Imperials took an 8:20x15 which is taller than the 8:00x15 used on other Chryslers of the era.  I chose to go with the B.F. Goodrich examples as they were very close to the original appearance.  The results were good for appearance in my opinion and I can tell you the car drives beautifully with them.

All of the plating was done by Sihilling Polishing in Santa Ana, CA.  I've delt with them for over 30 years and although expensive they have always stood behind their work.  Also Charles is a good friend, but I actually started dealing with his Father, John back in the early '70's.

Paint and body were done by my good friend Kevin Holme, owner of Uptown Autocraft in Upland, CA.  Kevin has also done our 300B, 300F and other spot work for me through the years.  An interesting side note on this is that the first time the car was painted I didn't think it was up to the normal standards that Kevin is capable of.  The car came home and I started to put it back together.  One day Kevin called and told me to bring the car back as he was not happy with it and wanted to repaint it at no charge.  The second time is what you now see.  There are still things to do on the car as they are never really complete.  Also more stories could be told, but I think you've got the basics.

If you go to this site you will see a few more photos of the car taken at one of my favorite weekly events I try to attend.  http://wackydave.fotki.com/cruise_nights/cruise_nights_2003/11-29-03_crystal/  Crystal Cove http://forums.crystalcovecars.com/ is a very upscale area and many exotics are always in attendance.  I can tell you the Imperial or as we call her (MAC) always has her share of admirers.

John Lazenby
Southern California, just minutes from Disneyland
1955 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe Town & Country
1955 Imperial Newport
1955 Chrysler C300
1956 Chrysler 300B
1957 Chrysler 300C Coupe