Re: [Chrysler300] door handle removal

Don & other 300-ites.

Page 577 of the service manual has the instructions and page 578 has
pictures of the tool in its proper place.  The instructions say:  The
door and window regulator handles are attached to regulator with spring
type clip.  Refer to Figure 26 and insert the pronged jaw of tool
between handle and washer, with handle in down position.  This will keep
handle from cocking and binding on shaft.  Squeeze handle of tool
together after making sure tool is in proper position and remove
handle.  (the pronged jaws need to come in from the left on window
cranks and door handles-RWB)

When installing handle, make certain the concave side of washer is
facing outward and handle is in downward position.  Slide handle over
shaft and press it on until clip engages locking groove on shaft.

I'm still fighting mine and do not have the precious tool.  The shaft
being steel and the handles being pot metal sets up a corrosion cell
that might be adding to the stickiness.  The one I did get off so far
indicates there may have been some sort of grease put on the shaft that
has hardened into glue.  Drizzling in a little WD-40 onto the exposed
shaft might help.  Other than that, one must release the clip with the
tool, then pull straight out.  I am devising a modified gear puller to
assist with this work-will need padded feet agaainst the door panel and
proper support jaws to slide under the handle flange.

got sticky once in a while.

Let me know if you develop a tool or technique that works.  Let me know
if you want a fax or scanned copy of the page with the tool figure.  It
is the same as on the KD 435 box and instruction tag as I viewed them on
the net recently as an e-bay item  I think the tool went for about $70..

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 C300

Don Nonnweiler wrote:

>Can anyone give me any tips on stubborn  door handle and window cranks.  I believe mine have never been removed, one has come off easy but the rest are very stubborn.  I'm using the correct tool KD 435, but some seem to be stuck on.  Any tips on getting the stubborn ones off
>Don
>C300

Give the gift of life to a sick child.