Re: [Chrysler300] What makes a 300 "real"??

Re: [Chrysler300] What makes a 300 "real"??

Well, I can't resist jumping in either ...

I have a life-long fondness for MoPars in general, 300s in particular, and the
fabled lettercars. However, the one I wanted (and have had since 30 years
ago) is the '63 Indy Pace Car. I have had many opportunities to have a letter
car instead, and, believe me, if I had infinite room and money, I would
certainly have one. But I only have room for one. and the Pace Car is the one.

I think it counterproductive to be elitist in either direction. My car does
not have the exotic drivetrain or wonderful history of a lettered 300, but
they don't have the reflected glory of Indianapolis, Jim Clark, Parnelli
Jones, Roger Ward, Dan Gurney .... So in my mind it's not better or worse,
it's just different forms of wonderfulness.

And, as a practical matter, this club only becomes exclusive with regards to
entry into their car shows. When I have asked a question about my non-letter
car, I always get multiple, learned, excellent responses. I have never
detected that I am being looked down upon in some way. I love letter cars,
and I believe Club members admire and appreciate the Pace Setter as well.
But the Pace Setter isn't a 300J, and nobody is pretending it is, so it
doesn't qualify to be in a 300 Int'l concours. C'est la vie!

Were it not for this club, the recent 413 transplant would not have gone as
well as it did, and the result would not be as authentic. It's too bad I
can't display the result in a 300 Int'l show, but I am very grateful to the
club and its members. Next time a meet is held somewhere near me, I will go
and thoroughly enjoy looking at the cars that show up (including those in the
parking lot!!).

Short take: The 300M is a 'real' 300M. It can't be anything else. The 300H-
II and 300C-II are 'real' also, but they are not to be confused with the 300H-
I or 300C-I. The 300-Cordoba was 'real' - Mother MoPar said so - and I enjoy
seeing them from time to time. So I say relax and enjoy them all, and be
thankful for the amazing pool of knowledge you have at your disposal by being
a member of this club. And be dazzled by the incredible lettercar
restorations that their pooled knowledge and resources have made possible!

Cheers,
Doug Jones
Boulder Creek, CA, near to, but with more moss than, Jett Ranch