Re: [Chrysler300] Chrysler 300 Hurst oil pressure

Re: [Chrysler300] Chrysler 300 Hurst oil pressure

Paul Holmgren wrote: "WHOA THERE Folks..... "

Whoa there yourself, Paul.... this thread concerns a 300 Hurst... made in
1970 with a 440 RB motor. The oil pump is external and a piece of cake to
remove and replace. No need to remove the pan.

John Hertog
Sag Harbor NY

Mike Apfelbeck wrote:

> Steve,
> Sounds like the oil pump lost its prime. You could remove it and pack the
> gears with white grease or Vaseline to get things restarted.The dealer
> should have an "oil pump repair package" for a few bucks that contains all
> the gaskets and "o" rings needed to service the oil pump. A long rotor,
> high volume pump is available from Chrysler under part number P4007177.
> I like to use a high volume pump, with a stock bypass spring inside, to
> maintain stock oil pressure levels. Excessively high oil pressure in a
> stock motor gains you nothing in the long run, it puts extra strain on the
> distributor drive gear and takes more power to maintain (can actually
> reduce gas mileage).Be careful about paying big bucks for a "high
> performance " pump, sometimes these are just made up from standard
castings
> with stiff springs in the bypass for higher oil pressure. A high volume
> pump should have a longer body than a standard one because of the taller
> gears inside.
> Mike

WHOA THERE Folks, before you try dropping the pan to get at the pump,
Please think about what folks do to prime a fresh motor.
Get a Priming rud/tool, poping out the distributor is WAY easier then
dropping the pan and going after the pump. a few miniutes with the
electric drill and the priming tool will tell you something at least!

--
Paul Holmgren
Hoosier Corps #33, L-6

For list server instructions, go to