Fuel Tank Sending Unit Sock

This subject has popped up in the past. One solution that was passed around
was to eliminate the 'sock' entirely. This is not a bad idea if the thing
plugs repeatedly with tank contamination (rust?). A restriction (not a
complete plugging) in the tank strainer will cause the engine mounted
mechanical fuel pump to work hard; a drop in fuel pressure at the fuel pump
inlet which with heat will encourage fuel vaporization in the line (vapor
lock).

Downside is that there MUST be a secondary downstream effective filtration
system in place to protect the carburetor, needle and seat. If car has a
booster pump back near the tank, there must be a filter before AND after the
pump as is always spelled out in instruction sheets packaged with
aftermarket electric fuel pump asemblies.

Little tip; the addition of an inline filter is always a good idea for an
older vehicle, (with or without a sock). And, I ran into a 3/8" inline metal
canister filter (looked for all the world like a quality piece!) that was
actually only a relatively course strainer; inside was wire (course weave)
mesh only and not the filter media that is necessary to properly filter out
crud. Part was second or third line, either AutoZone economy or Wix economy
line. Filters we use are Wix 33032, 33033 to suit or AC Delco metal
cannister filters and I know that they come with real filter media inside.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ