300 handling

Jim Bartuska wrote:

>Hi Aussie, I've lived with Big Block (427 & 454 ci. in.) Corvettes all my
adult life & have learned some of the problems that make them handle funny.
I have driven them up to 140 MPH, mostly on race tracks, & never had
problems with the rear end not tracking properly. Corvettes built between
'63 & '82 had the same basic frame/suspension system and are prone to two
common problems. First, age deteriorates the rear trailing arm bushings.
Second, in the colder climates where gobs of salt are used on the roads,
rust will weaken the frame at the attaching point of the trailing arms. Both
of there conditions will cause the rear end to wander or "steer" from the
rear. A properly maintained & aligned rear suspension in a Corvette will
produce cornering results that exceed the capability of our trusty 300's.
300'ly yours,

Hi Folks - I agree with Jim, and I am agreeing from a position of strength.
I have in my garage, quite close to each other a 300C Coupe that we have
owned for many years, and have put many miles on it, some at speed, and a
1964 Corvette Big Tank Fuelie Coupe which we have also driven at 120MPH.
There is no question in my mind that the Corvette is a much more comfortable
car at speed. This one has a 3:08 rear end so it has nothing till 3500rpm
but then......... Jim is much braver than I, as the mid-year vettes get
very light on the front end starting at 125, and are almost undriveable over
140

Marty McDonough

Pahrump, NV