freeze plug problem

Gary and all,

Must be the season for freeze-plugs to pop off from 300G converts ! Went to
pick up the G rag from the storage barn where it had been since about
November. Dirt floor barn. That tough old bird of a "G" convert (has
296,000 miles) fired right up - the electric fuel pump helps - and I backed
out of the barn and began driving. After about 2-3 miles the car started to
ping (uh-oh) ; a quick scan of the instruments showed all OK - especially
the temp gauge. Then, it started to ping worse - and then smoke ! I pulled
off.... no coolant anywhere to be found. Poured some water into the rad.
after letting it cool down, and it just came right out the side of the
engine, right behind the #$%^ starter, of course. So - home on a flatbed.

As soon as I loosened the starter, I got hit on the cheek by a freezeout
plug ! That sucker had popped right out and was laying between starter and
block... and all the coolant had leaked out into the dirt floor of the barn
over the winter. Please note: when there is NO coolant in the water
passages, the temperature gauge will NOT register the fact that the engine
is being overheated !

I attempted to replace the plug with a Dorman expandable plug... these are
especially designed not to pop out...it fit in there quite nicely, and I
thought I'd never have to worry about THAT plug again - getting the starter
off is never fun what with the ram exhaust. unfortunately, the head of the
screw that tightens up the freeze-plug interfered with the starter - no way
to get it back on. So had to reinstall one of the original crappy design
dish-type plugs. Threw a couple extra ones in the glove-box.

I will never ever trust that freeze-plug. I am sure it will fall out again -
probably in the middle of South Dakota on my way to the Reno meet.

John