Re: [Chrysler300] 68 300

Wanted a B since I saw my first one as a 16 year old some 47 years ago.
Have always felt that they have the most elegant look of all the letter
cars(feel the same about the 55 c300 except for the tail lites and the fact
that the B has torque flight available along with more HP).

Comparing the B with the C. I believe the C has a more muscular look that
spells watch out for me as I am the King around here and I love its look
also but again the B has an understated elegance that very few autos in my
opinion can duplicate.

The C is probably the better driver because of its torsion bar
suspension--both models desperately require radial tires for decent handling
and ride--. The quality of build of the B was better(everyone complained
about the C & D in the respect). The C maxed out at 390 HP with optional
motor, the B at 355. The 55 and 56's are the autos that put the 300's on
the map in Daytona and Grand National racing. The B had a higher top
speed(139 at Daytona in 1956) believe it or not. The 55's and 6's were the
original muscle cars in spite of what GTO claimed in 1964. The 56 B had the
first HP per cubic inch(354 CI with 355 HP) in spite of what Chevrolet
claimed in 1957 (283 CI at 283HP)..

If you put a gun to my head and told me that I had to buy another 300 it
would be a 57 C, followed by a red C-300(55 would love to lower one of
these, put wire wheels with radials on it, a 392 with a torque flight, a
good sound system, and air conditioning and drive it across the country),
followed by an F(1960).

Bought the car in 1986 in Canada, drove it to World's Fair in British
Columbia on our way home to Calif. Spent 2 years in a frame off
restoration(I tell my wife 35,000 dollars later but probably closer to
50,000 and most likely much more now) and have showed extensively. Drive
the car, has never been trailered except home from one of the 300 National's
some years back in Sacramento when the water pump failed.

Always gathers much attention in all open auto shows(such as Goodguys meets)
in a sea of Fords and Chevys where often it is the only 300 in attendance
and indeed often the only 300 that many spectators have ever seen.

I suggest that you get your best friend to get a 57 C and you get a B. Then
when both are restored you just trade them back and forth from time to time
and you will have the best of both worlds.

Roger Schaaf
Calif