Re: [Chrysler300] Steering wheel restoration

Re: [Chrysler300] Steering wheel restoration

FYI. D&D (Don Eash owner, South Fork, PA) restored my 300G wheel over the
winter months last year. Total cost was in the $900 range which included
re-plating of the chrome upper half of the wheel (as it had flaked, he subs
this task out). Probably looking at $800 without. Obviously, a
substantial investment but the overall workmanship and added appearance to
the interior of the car (really makes a difference!) helped ease the pain.
You also get the impression he doesn't make a killing as it is a complicated
wheel to get right and the labor spent was commensurate with the quote.

Expect a full 5 months wait with Don Eash (I had a spare so I really didn't
push him), may be faster now if he retained molds and can reuse them.
Expect to send the chrome horn spoke as well for sizing and fitting. Color
match for the spokes and bottom half will be a challenge to match the subtle
metallic look -- he will mail color samples to ensure your satisfaction.

Overall, nice and honest small shop owner local to my area (western PA).
Enjoys his work and really appreciates the beauty of the wheels that are
such an integral part of our cars.

To end, only one negative I've seen-- if you had a leather wrap on the wheel
to cover the yellowing and cracks -- can get slippery in the hot summer
months with the bare shiny wheel.

Myles Wallace, 300G