overheating problem

Hi George VerBerkmoes ,

Looking at the roster, you own a 300L... and, based on your description, it
sounds like it's a non a/c car, since you mention a four-blade fan. Correct
so far ?

Let's look at your symptons just a little more. You mention that you can do
"stop and go" driving all day long with no overheating - correct ? You also
mention some freeway driving, but I'd like some elaboration on that - how
long did you drive on said freeway?

My suggestion is as follows , and based on my overheating experiences with a
70 Newport that drove me, and good friend Bob Haag, nuts for awhile..
first, install a capillary temperature gauge, so that you can actually see
what is going on. These gauges are pretty much available anywhere, don't
cost a lot, and a permanent installation is not needed. Just clamp / tape /
attach the gauge itself inside the passenger
compartment and run the coiled capillary tube thru firewall . Remove the
temp sender, install the proper threaded adapter and screw in the sender
attached at the end of tube. It can very easily all be undone when the
problem is solved.

Now you will be able to see what is actually going on, as far as temp
rising...

If the temperature rises as you drive faster and faster on the highway, and
remains low at idle and low RPM's, then I will go out on a limb and boldly
state that you have a bad radiator core. Even if it is new.

There is an off chance that the impeller of your water pump is bad, and that
is easily and cheaply remedied by installing a new water pump ( suggest a
new one over a rebuilt, both available from NAPA ) . They only sell a/c
heavy duty water pump these days...

No, best thing to do is install the gauge - type sender and go driving, and
observe the results. The idiot lights on your 300L don't tell the tale, and
you need to know what exactly is going on, as far as temperature rising and
falling, depending on driving conditions / speed / etc.

Back to my Newport--- after going absolutely batso, trying to figure out
why it overheated everytime I tried to take it out on the highway, and
changing everything in sight, two thermostats, a water pump, distributor
timing, all the hoses, fans and clutches, etc etc, the problem turned out
to be the radiator. It just did not dissipate heat quick enough at highway
speed.

300'ly and see you in Phoenix , with the 300L !

John