Re: [FWDLK] Air Cleaner Conversion

In a message dated 11/10/02 1:33:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dhomstad@xxxx writes:

> This is what I did to my 56 Dodge 4 barrel air cleaner. It looks totally
> stock on the outside. All 55/56 Mopar 4 barrel air cleaners are the same.

Dave,
I read this and want to commend you for the effort you put forth to research
the project. I can't remember how the oil-bath cleaners were put together
any more but that doesn't matter now. A low restriction paper filter with a
stock look is neat!

What I DO want to mention is this:
I was working in the Chrysler Engineering Air Cleaner Lab as a test
technician during the transition from oil-bath to paper filter elements, and
was the one that conducted filter efficiency tests. We used "Calibrated"
dirt supplied by a division of Generous Motors. It was about the consistency
of flour, and had certified percentages of various particle sizes.

Oil-bath cleaners will eat a ton of dirt without appreciable increase in
restriction. The dirt gets trapped by the oil film, then drains back into
the sump at shutdown. As I recall, efficiency averaged about 84-87%. Paper
filters operate at 0ver 98% efficiency new and get slightly better as they
get dirty with a corresponding increase in restriction until they get
unusable.

The absolute worse air cleaner elements I ever tested were the ones made from
a thin layer of oiled foam. They didn't filter very well to begin with,
clogged soon because of the dirt collecting on the surface layer, and if you
waited a little too long to service them, they would suddenly collapse and
deliver a large handful of gritty, oily dirt to your engine, usually at wide
open throttle.

Joe Savard
Lake Orion, MI