Undercoating, my two cents too

Ben,

Decide first why you want to either remove or keep the
undercoating. It was never meant as a rust preventative nor is it likely that
your restored E is ever going to see salt , slush and snow anyway. A good
epoxy primer by itself will do more to prevent rust than any undercoating
job.

If you're doing a frame off, rotisserie job and plan to display
the car with mirrors underneath and want it to look pretty then remove it
all, and paint the underside of the car. To maintain some flavor of
authenticity however I don't recommend fully painting the floorpans, rather
overspray from the sides, shooting towards the center of the vehicle and
don't paint into the trans tunnel or in the area above the rear axle housing.
I believe undercoating was standard on all 300's but not sure, perhaps
someone else can confirm this but if you want mirrors and looks leave it off
but remember its probably not original.

If you're doing the rotisserie style job and want to remove the
old undercoating with the intention of repainting the floor pans and putting
the undercoating back for originality then I'd advise against it for several
reasons.

1. done properly its extremely time consuming and if you're not doing it
yourself figure on 30-40 hours or more of prep time before its ready
for paint, ie: $$$

2. you'll have an extremely hard time trying to duplicate the look and
also texture of
the original undercoating. That stuff was blown on at pressure and a
spray can
isn't going to cut it. Personal experience with a pressurized
applicator gun you
can buy at an auto paint supply house wont give you the same results
either.

3. Unless the stuff is cracking and loose (too late, you've probably got
rust), leave
it alone, you wont find any rust underneath it unless your car is
rotten from the
inside out and then its likely that the undercoating is all that's
keeping your
carpet in the car.

If you want undercoating consider this... Carefully inspect the
underside and remove any loose undercoating. Make all your metal repairs and
refinish the underside of the vehicle as ORIGINAL where appropriate. Apply
body color underneath where you find it and leave anything bare primer and
not painted nor undercoated ... as you find it appropriate. A mixture of PPG
DP90 and DP40 epoxy primers will resemble the grayish Chrysler primer and it
wont rust through. Now that the metal underside of the vehicle has been
painted and/or primered like the day it was assembled 40 something years ago
you can repair the undercoat where needed per John Hertog's recommendation.
Finally, avoid "rubberized" undercoating in a can and find a brand called
Dynatron. Get a few cans and lightly coat the original existing
undercoating. This will simply give a like-new coloring to your old
undercoat while also "blending" any repaired undercoat and it will also cover
any overspray of primers or body colors which will have gotten on the
original undercoating as you were spraying the bottom of the car.

While the above is only my recommendations based on my results using
several different techniques on several different cars I've done I hope it
will at least give you some more options to consider. I'd also recommend not
only carefully photographing your car's existing details for documentation
but also seeking out the advice of one of the club's knowledgeable
undercarriage judges. Good luck!

Michael Laiserin
Phoenix, Az