no more popping - reply

Hi Larry,

Well, I guess if there is one lesson to be learned from all this mess.In the
case of a ram car that pops back thru the carbs, the problem is not
necessarily carburetor related.

All my "gut feeling" and past experience with cars seemed to indicate that
the popping was due to improper float level in the carbs. Indeed, I did
drive this car to my carburetor repair shop, and test drove it, with the
shop owner in the car. He heard the popping and also, immediately,
concurred that this was a carb problem ! He indicated that he thought it
was a lean condition occuring on turns . We played with the carbs for quite
awhile until we both ran out of time and got nowhere. Couldn't find anything
wrong with the carbs anyway - took the tops off, float level was to spec !

Yes, if Don Verity finds a specific problem with the distributor, we will
share these findings with the list ! I still can't for the life of me
comprehend how left turns could affect a distributor to the point that this
one was affected... it defies my logic... but, so be it, the problem is
solved. It was an immediate fix, the problem was constantly present before
the distributor swap and disappeared completely with another distributor
installed !

I will add this : it really helped, in my case, to have spare carbs and
distributors on hand to swap out... if I didn't have the spare carbs, I'd
probably still be chasing a carburetor issue !

John