300L Armrests

The armrest bases on my 300L are painted according to the interior color. The comment was made to me that, while the pads should be colored, the bases should have a chrome type finish and that a previous owner had painted the bases. I have never seen the interior of another 300L so I don't know if the guy is right. What is the answer?

Thanks,

Steve Galezowski