Re: [Chrysler300] Rechroming

My three cents worth (inflation) on the chrome..........
I have AIH Chrome bumpers on my "B" and I concur that they do flawless work
and it LASTS.
One other consideration on picking a plater is to find out what type of
chrome they use.
Trivalent form or Hexavalent form. Trivalent chrome has evolved and is used
because it has less EPA problems and requirements compared to Hex chrome. It
also flows or deposits better into the nooks and crannys in difficult
pieces. The "old" chrome that was original on our cars was "Old Hex"
(hexavalent) chrome. Small platers and the larger ones that can afford to
handle the old stuff will have chrome looking closest in color to your
original sparkling chrome.
The newer Trivalent chrome, if applied by a plater that maintains the
filtering system will look just as good and many will not be able to tell the
difference. BUT, the plater that dos NOT clean or filter his tanks contents
continuosly will result in chrome looking like it has a grey tint. Parts
done on one day may not be the same "color" if done several days later if the
"bath" is not maintained properly. Some people say that our old chrome has
a "blue" hue that makes it sparkle brightly. So if your returned chrome
looks a bit darker (than pieces not rechromed), that is the reason. It would
be better to do all pieces that will be sitting next to each other rather
than doing one piece and sticking an NOS piece on or next to it.
( As with either type of chrome, preparation of the piece with proper buffing
of the copper layer will result in a smooth surface and nice looking finished
product.)
Ask the platers which type of chrome they use and listen to word of mouth
recommendations on quality of the finished product.
As John said, its a touchy subject!!!
John R. Cote