Re: [Chrysler300] axel end play on 300C

The 1958 Service manual specifies .013" - .018" end play. And in bold
letters it states, "Note: It is recommended that the end play be held to the
high limit rather than the low. The end play will decrease during operation
due to heat expansion." It further states that one should have equal
thicknesses of shims on both sides of the axle.

This is lots of fun. After measuring end play, you get to run around to
both sides of the car and even up the shim packs. We set our end play on
the D at this range and have had no trouble. Be very sure to use limited
slip length axles with limited slip rears and vice versa. Axle lengths are
different. Usually no one replaces the axles, but they will replace the
rear end.

Gloria Moon