Re: [Chrysler300] Hard Starting Wedge!

Jennifer,
Does the car start then die right after starting or does it just not start until the fuel pump refills the carb(s)? Makes a difference on the root identification of the problem.

If the engines fires then dies, the carb has fuel retained in it between uses, the pump is slow to refil the carb on restart. That could be a bad pump or a pinhole in the fuel line or rubber connectors or a blockage. The pump should be able to raise fuel several feet, a little driveway tilt should make no difference.

If the carb(s) are empty on restart, that indicates a different family of causes because there is a problem inside the carb. The floats don't change all by themselves, float arms must be manually bent to change the fuel level in the carb. A loose needle/seat assembly will lower the fuel level and cause a no fuel no start. This will also make the carb abnormally position sensitive to its being tilted. Larry Johnson
- Jennifer Allyn wrote:
Suggestions are welcomed:

Only when cold is our '62 413 difficult to fire. We park this car angled up in our driveway and lately it requires a lot to get it to fire. We often roll down the driveway, so the car
is flat in the street
in order for it to fire. Our theory is that the fuel pump can't pump Only when cold is our '62 413 difficult to fire. We park this car angled up in our driveway and lately it requires a lot to get it to fire. We often roll down the driveway, so the car is flat in the street in order for it to fire. Our theory is that the fuel pump can't pump the fuel up to the carburetor when parked at the angle.

Do carburetor floats change their levels on their own? It seems as though once the carburetor gets fuel the car fires no problem.

Thanks, Matt Allyn