Re: [Chrysler300] 53-56 wire wheels & caps on eBay

Re: [Chrysler300] 53-56 wire wheels & caps on eBay

Hello all,

Some comments about wire wheels on Chryslers. First they were a factory
option on the C300 (1955), but were dealer optioned on 300B (1956). When
purchasing these be careful as there are actually three different wheels
used on Chrysler products from 1951 through 1955.

There is the Plymouth/Dodge wheel with the lacing at the outer edge and a 5
lug 4 1/2" bolt pattern. Next is the DeSoto/Chrysler wheel which is also 5
lug 4 1/2" pattern, but the lacing is in about 1". Both of these wheels are
48 spokes. Last is the Imperial wheel which is 5 lug 5 1/2" pattern and is
52 spokes. This wheel is also wider than the Chrysler example although the
lacing is located in the same position.

Another common misquote is they are Kelsey Hays, when in fact they were made
by Motorwheel Corp. Kelsey built wires that were used on Fords and other
products. A Chrysler wheel will bolt on some Fords, but the Ford will not
bolt to the Chrysler due to the center hole being to small to seat properly.

Last is the restoration cost. The last set I had restored for my '55
Imperial Newport soon to be completed cost $350.00 each. These were done
with stainless spokes which cuts the maintance down. If you have the caps
and they are in good shape, leave them alone as most platters will round all
of the edges when replating. The repros that are out now through various
vendors are good. A fellow named Bob Borenstein in So. Calif. was doing
them originally and they were excellent. I haven't seen or heard of him
lately, so I don't know if he is still in the game or not. I'm not familiar
with (btw) mentioned in Sean's info, so I can't comment on them.

Last I would suggest that if you are out searching for these and come across
some. Before you make the purchase be sure that the wheels are for the
application you need. Over the years I've been on wild goose chases and
have seen people buy something that would make a good door stop.

John Lazenby