Where is the actual difference in size inbetween a "C" and a "D"

Where is the actual difference in size inbetween a "C" and a "D"

Hi Ulf,

There are innumerable differences between a C and a D. The length change is because the D front and rear bumper brackets are redesigned and are much heavier; those on the C bent too easily and the bumper was just too close to the body. I am not aware of any reason for a change in car width. The seat springs were redesigned in '58; again the C springs were a little too light for the need in a heavy-duty-suspended car so they beefed them up for the D and perhaps the New Yorker also. Especially the rear seat had been, for the center passenger, very uncomfortable. The change in overall car height may be accounted for by the fact the rear springs were re-engineered to a different length and the front suspension may have compensated slightly for this.

The tail lights and interior trimming are indeed obvious. Less obvious are things like the color of the gauges was changed, the stamped aluminum in the radio and ash receiver bezel is different, reinforcing bars were added from the cowl to the inner fenders to take out some vibration, and things totally obscure like the radiator support panel from fender to fender was reengineered in most of its fasteners to speed production.

These are the sort of things that go on every year in the industry and are support to anyone comparing any two years of cars who will say the newer car is a better car. The manufacturers are always learning how to make it better. At the same time they are also driven by profits so there is also the need to make it cheaper. Like everything else in life, there are trade-offs.

Personally, all things considered, I thought everything came together to my satisfaction in 1957.

Wayne