Re: [Chrysler300] Windshield interchange

Re: [Chrysler300] Windshield interchange

Here we go courtesy of a post Mr. John Hertog made on 6/28/2000:

Hi Jeff,

It's nice to be getting back to tech e-mails.

You're quite right that there are two different shape windshields. They
are
usually referred to as 'straight' , and 'bubble' .

The W590 is the "bubble" windshield . It was used in ALL 1960
Chryslers.
Then, it was used in ALL 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964 Chrysler CONVERTIBLES
,
only.

The W604 is the "straight" windshield. It was used in all hardtops
starting
in 1961.

For the purposes of this discussion, I will only talk about Chryslers,
even
though it's pretty much the same thing for identical bodied Plymouth,
Dodges
and DeSotos.

Both windshields WILL interchange. BUT, a little known fact which I
have
picked up on is that the gaskets are different, from one model to
another.
The straight windshield uses gasket # 2166675 . The bubble windshield
uses
gasket # 1882146
(check out parts books under 23-66-0 ) . It is my opinion that
different
gaskets were used because of the different angle at which the
windshields
come in at the top.

Hope this helps

John