Re: [Chrysler300] 300M Tires, Followup

Folks:

All this 300M conversation is good...it confirms the fact that many of us
"took the plunge" on the revival of the letter car.

We ordered our 300M in early April, 1998, before details on the car were
clear (my brochure even shows "green on black" gauges, before they decided
to use the LHS "Retro" look). It was going to be our first brand new car
since 1980 ("Letter Fever"!). We checked the box for only two options : a
full size spare (I know how much replacement mag wheels can cost), and
something called "Performance Ride and Handling Package". We did not know
what this included, nor how much that option (nor the car itself) would
cost. When we took delivery in late May 1998, I was delighted to see that
this option cost only $255 extra (actually less as we paid "tissue" plus
$400) and that it eliminated the 118MPH limiter and brought the top speed up
to a 143MPH (more in keeping with the Letter heritage). This brought with it
the less attractive (in my opinion) 16 inch wheels and Michelin Tires
(again, we did not know what "checking the box" would mean).

We have had some significant issues with this "low VIN" car. This includes:
serious water leaks, electrical problems, front pads that are shot at 30K,
and a steering rack that decided to go bad shortly after the warranty
expired. It is also has more wind noise than our Audi (which has 200K miles
on it). Now, at 70K Miles, I think we have worked the bugs out. One issue we
have never had (thankfully, based on my review of the server messages!) is a
problem w/ the tires. The Michelins have been great and after they were
worn, I replaced them w/ Bridgestones (which I use on my tricked-out 1991
20V 200 Turbo Quattro) and they have been fine as well. All this seems to
lend credence to much of the dialogue concerning the Goodyears (which pains
me as someone who has always had good experiences w/Goodyear, including
Invictas, Eagle TA's, GT's and ST's).

Regards,

Keith