Re: [Chrysler300] Brakes? What Brakes

Andy Mikonis' quote is right. "Braking distances have not changed really
much at all,
especially since 1961 Chrysler technology."

My 1999 BMW 740i was tested and stopped from 60mph to 0 in 125 ft. compared
to the 131 ft for the 1961 300-G.

I used to stop a lot faster in 1961 also. All I can speak to is my
experience with my 300-F. All that is currently available are USED brake
drums. The brake shoes (relined or otherwise) are difficult to get and I
wouldn't want to bet that they have the same asbestos content that the shoes
had in 1961. We were lucky to find NOS return springs.

I AM a brake expert! I base it on pushing down the big pedal (next to the
long thin pedal) and seeing how well the car stops AND then stops again.

I drive my 740i to the storage garage. Pull out the 300-F and replace it
with the 740i. After tooling around with the 300-F I reverse the process and
go home with the Beammer.

They both are FAST. But the BMW stops on a dime and the 300 doesn't.

Wish I could go Back to the 1961 in more than one way. I sure had less aches
and pains back then and I bet a 300-F or 300-G would stop a hell of a lot
better back then too. They did, Andy saw it in a 1961 magazine. That proves
it!

Must have been the Good Year "Blue Streak" tires on the test car. You can't
get them any more either you know.

Where do I find those "little" pads and rotors that won't quit? They call
them disc brakes I think!

Tony

ps I had more hair in 1961 too.