Re: [Chrysler300] Tire Balancing: NEW wheels

Re: [Chrysler300] Tire Balancing: NEW wheels

> Enjoying the tire balancing discussion...
>
> This might not apply to 300 owners as they usually run original wheels. I
don't - I run later model 7" wheels but with the original hubcaps. The
originality craze has recently caused new reproduction wheels to be cheaper
than used original wheels, so I've been buying reproduction 7 and 8" rallye
wheels to use with wheelcovers and reproduction Magnum 500's for other cars.
> The point of this memo is that when I have tried to balance these new
wheels with a machine that locks down the center hub of the wheel, I
sometimes get a balance problem. The cure turned out to be to use a balance
machine that locks down the wheel using the 5 stud holes. Somehow, even
though the wheel is "true" as it would be mounted on a car(as it should be),
the center hub is not true(and really needn't be).
> If you have a nagging balance problem with your wheels, this type of
balancer might help you out.
> Maybe many of you already know or use this system, but I'm kinda behind
the times here in Pgh and it was difficult to even find anyone with this
type of balancer .

> Jeff Miklas

Cone centering for tire/wheel balancing is acceptable in most cases.
However, I have never seen a passenger car that locates wheels to the car
off the center hole.
There are old systems and some relatively new products (mounting adaptors)
on the market to stud mount passenger car tires. Takes more time to properly
center and clamp down a wheel on a stud mount adaptor. Cone balancing off
the MACHINED center hole on alloy wheels seems to work just fine.

Hub centric mounting is now widely used in heavy duty vehicles.

I have stud mounted wheels on my balancer and cut the cone mounted tire
weight total at least in half. And, I have successfully rebalanced others
attempts at cone balancing light truck wheels by stud mounting on my
balancer. I am very sure that an acceptable balance is not possible using
cones on any 16", 8 lug steel -wheel/tire assembly that is not a hub centric
mount design.

Some tire/wheel assemblies will not balance and even using road force
variation machines/technology.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ

Give the gift of life to a sick child.