Re: [Chrysler300] 300C Brakes !?

In a message dated 11/11/2004 1:38:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
thelastbestgenius@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Recently there was mention of Disc conversion sotces for better brajes for
> early 300s, especially those fitted with dual cylinder front brakes.
>
> I have just been using my 57 300 as a daily city driver for the last 6
> weeks, done maybe 2000 miles.
>
> Have I got the only 300C with amazing brakes - I am just back to driving a
> late 70s 80s 6 Series BMW Coupe, and am shocked at how unresponsive the
> discs on it are comparted to 300 - like for example was turning into empty
> lane of two lanes when car in other lane cut into the lane I was entering.
> I should have driven his Toyota into a banana shape, but instead the 300
> stopped from about 20 mph in about 20 feet, and I could take in the Toyota
> driver's paniced face.  My car has linings that look to have copper in them
> - from 80mph the car pulls down so fast and true - isn't that why they had
> twin cylinders - or I am I just lucky mine work so well and with so much
> feel and bite - way more than later BM discs on a car designed to run 135
> mph.
>
> And ps - those hemis haul like nothing else from 20 mph, get out there and
> drive them -you won't stop smiling for some time !!   Are discs worth it
> unless racing?
>
> aussie christopher

Hi Chris and All:
Glad to hear someone out there likes their 300 brakes.  Drum brakes (both
centerplane and bendix) have a nice little feature called "servo" that, in
essence, applies more pressure to the shoe/drum friction area while you are braking,
due to the geometry of the shoe movement.  Disks have no such feature, so
have to rely totally on line pressure to achieve the same braking performance.
Yes, I know---the Total Contact Chrysler centerplane design has to be almost
perfectly set up to perform like yours, Chris, and, alright, I will grudgingly
admit the fade resistance of disks is better (grumble, grumble) for the less
than  1% of the time it makes any difference!   300ly, Gil--drum
brake--Cunningham

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used