Re: [Chrysler300] Steering Box on 59E !!!

Re: [Chrysler300] Steering Box on 59E !!!

Fellow Members Who Own A 59E:

Need some advice: Gotta remove the steering box to have it serviced.  Is
this
difficult and how do I proceed?  If you can give me some assistance or even
your telephone number if it is too lengthly to write about here, I would
greatly appreciate it!  Thanks!

Tom

There is the coupling on the input shaft and the pitman arm on the output
shaft. The hydraulic lines once loosened make a mess. Most probably the
biggest problem will be the big nut securing the pitman arm to the output
shaft of the gear box and the tight fit of the arm to the output shaft. This
will require a large wrench to loosen the nut and a special puller or a
large general purpose puller that will adapt. Unidirectional banging on the
output shaft is not a good idea and how hard the separation is to accomplish
will be related to how long the gear has been in the car and the general
corrosion factor of  course. Getting to the gear/frame bolts with proper
generally on-hand tools should be no problem excepting the possible
corrosion factor. They are pretty good sized and they better be tight. As
recently discussed in this forum and mentioned by others, the suggestion is
to not use a 'pickle fork' to separate tie rod ends if the joint is to be
reused and which operatrion might also be needed.

Some coaxing will be necessary when releasing the pitman arm. Penetrating
solution and two big hammers work the best. Use one hammer as a backup held
tight against the arm at the split joint and diagonally opposite the one
that is used to strike the arm at right angles to the centerline of the
pitman shaft. Assuming luck is with you, a sharp knock with the puller in
place, pulling strong and straight, the joint should separate - with the arm
retaining nut loose but still in place to catch the loose parts. All this
should be in the manual excepting the two hammer trick that properly done
does no harm and does help release the tight joint. Heat? Please, no.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used