[Chrysler300] Granatelli's 300F

Mike and all members:

With the latest interest in the blown 300F, just thought I'd provide a bit of
trivia.

In 1988, the other 300 club had their meet in Sacramento.  At the awards
banquet, we had a speaker who was very familiar with one page of history of the
subject vehicle.  I do not recall his name but in the following I will refer to
him as the nephew as he was working for his uncle at the time.

Sometime after Granatelli completed his runs with the Paxton charged 300F,
the blowers were removed and the car taken to northern Nevada where it was run
for several years testing tires.  The nephew assisted his uncle in running
these tests.  He told us several stories that occurred over the testing years most
of which I cannot recall at this time.  He told us that over 400,000 miles
were logged on the car, 60% at speeds over 160 mph!

On the final day of using the car for testing, his uncle had him change the
spark plugs.  Unfortunately, he broke one off and his uncle told him to pack
everything up and they would head back to the shop.  On the way back, his uncle
did the driving.  At some point along the way, some young men in an Olds 442
flew by.  They jeered out the windows at the 300F and apparently challenged
them to a race.  That irked the uncle and the race was on.  The uncle floored it,
caught the 442 and passed them, all on 7 cylinders!!  The speaker has no idea
what became of  the car after then.

Dan Reitz
Northridge, CA

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used