Re: {Chrysler 300} Cooling issue or a sensing issue…and reading gauges c

Re: {Chrysler 300} Cooling issue or a sensing issue…and reading gauges closely

that too cool is a good problem . get an IR thermometer , maybe the higher reading was the wrong one . Far more likely
The senders we get now are not great vary all over the place if new, don’t match our gauges , and not a precision thing at all . But till messed with usually consistent . . 57-58 temp senders for non thermal gauges only work if you pull them off old junk motor , replacements you get are wrong totally

My 78 3i8 truck , I had a huge fight with gas gauge calibration after market float and resistor part replacement was also a joke . said  E when half full . Hard to believe that far out so pulled dash to check v regulator, resolder pins to pc card at plug  etc , while out converted to electronic ( although in retrospect original one was working ok . I can say that as temp ran in middle of range always , after conversion it read at high end of normal range , I did not like that
psychologically  as 15 years in middle .) And it made gas issue worse , not better,  as when full now , gauge went beyond F

 . On the original problem i finally said this thing is just  not defeating me again after two gas tank pulls  =  I made a new arm and float measured travel etc . redid all that,  still using the l “  wrong “  aftermarket sender which had correct resistor ohms .
New ford brass float , made new arm of # 10 copper solid wire ,soldered and wrapped on old arm ,  made sure float could reach bottom of tank which required extending and shaping the arm.

Think about it , not an electric problem at all if float stops dropping with 5 gallons still in tank because arm is just too short , it hits its own stop and ohms are max  , so says to gauge ; Read E  . You rush  for gas it takes 12

Tank in and out 3 x due to junk “ it fits your car”  sender from china . All of them are like this . Note ohm check is ok . moving by hand connected to car is ok too . Auuuugh

So takeaway , putting electronic regulator is not all roses . I would add diode in series after all this to reduce it  another .7 v . Better slightly low reading than high on E ( you still have a lot of gas) or  high on temp .  5 v steady is a little higher i think than effective heating of stick   pulser type, although worked ok on many F . And the pulsar in can are reliable in my experience ..

Get I R temp gauge — if bulk of motor or IR reading at thermostat is within 7-8 degrees of setting you are perfect , just note where gauge is . That is your new reality as normal
I know nothing of fail open thermostats , sounds like a new set of problems ? one overheat and it stays open?
jg