RE: {Chrysler 300} 300F Brake Shoes/Drums

RE: {Chrysler 300} 300F Brake Shoes/Drums

On the rears John, you do have a point. The only way to make sure you have a hub with a perfect center is to turn them in a lathe with the axles you are going to use and make them a “matched set”.

The only real modification on my 1949 Desoto convertible was the brakes. I converted it to four-wheel disc with power. I used the stock master cylinder.

What we did was to pull the axle shafts and turned the hubs on them to make sure the disc was parallel.  Run out is not a big deal with discs. Perpendicular is.

I also used a midland ross remote booster in the trunk next to the spare tire on the shelf. The same remote booster used in T-Birds and 1963-1964 300 RAM cars.

The brakes on that car work great. Almost too good. If you stomp on it hold on!

One the drum cars, I happen to have a brake shoe arc machine. What people need to be aware of is that most of the brake shoes sold are for drums 40 thousand OD and below. If you get shoes and have a drum over 40 you do not have enough lining to arc.

I get my shoes from Jeff at Moose Motors here in Northern California. He has a lot of “old” lining and relines my shoes.  I can then arc as needed.

On the subject of arc machines…at some point in manufacture Ammco changed the machines to include the .006 clearance. On the old machines you had to do the math and turn the dial. On the later machines it was built it. We had a hell of a time a couple of decades ago with a car that would not arc correctly. We pulled our hair out.  Then we ran across the tech note from Ammco and did not add in the .006 and everything worked out fine.

I have asked at least a dozen people who have the machines which one they own and ALL of them had no idea. When we checked the part numbers about half were the early and half the late…

At the end of the day, I think sending the combined hub-drums to that company for relining the is the best way to go. I have a friend who has a 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible that is going through the same issue with the front brakes. A shop that “knew what it was doing” got new drums and made them floaters. The brakes pulse so bad one can barely drive the thing. He has hunted for good used drums for a year without much luck. So, he is sending a set to be relined. I am waiting to see how they come out and function.

James