From: 'Matt Allyn' via Chrysler 300 Club International <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2024 08:29
To: Chrysler 300 List <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: {Chrysler 300} 1962 Steering Gear - Column Jacket Tube

Hello,

It has been at least a quarter century since I have replaced a Steering Gear.

But when an engine is out, what better time?

Fortunately we have Bob Merritt’s “how to” video for reference; thank you Bob!

I am close to being done, but have some questions.

- The Steering Gear is loosely bolted to the frame

- The Inner Shaft in place, with a new lower u-shaped rubber insulator & a new copper strip for the horn ground that I made

- The Outer Column Jacket Tube is sort of in place, as I have it pushed through the new firewall column seal

And now for my questions...

- The Jacket Tube: How far down does it go?

- The Jacket Tube: Does it go until it actually meets the Steering Gear?

- The Jacket Tube Clamp: Best method to pry it apart enough to slide over the wide end of the Jacket Tube?

- The Jacket Tube Clamp: Once on the end of the Tube, what is it actually clamping?

- The Jacket Tube Clamp: As I tighten its bolt, it cinches together.  Keep tightening until there is at least 1/16” of space left where?  I don’t understand what or where the 1/16” measurement is referencing.

- The top half of the Jacket Tube: Any helpful hints on how to pull UP the Inner Shaft in order to install the Washer & Snap Ring?  I saw what Bob did with a block of wood & some channel lock pliers.  Just wondered if there were other thoughts.  I may have the help of another soul for this step, though maybe it is just a 1-person job.

Thank you all!

Matt Allyn

---

---