Re: {Chrysler 300} Pictures of Original Factory 64 Ram K Spark Plug Wire

Re: {Chrysler 300} Pictures of Original Factory 64 Ram K Spark Plug Wire Set

Hi Paul,

Assuming that the ram K wires are the same as the J (very likely), I have not been able to find any photos of the original wires over the last 15 years except for b/w engine photos.  Someone in the club probably has an original set (or at least one wire), but maybe doesn't have it handy for a photo, or simply cannot find it - a common problem among us who have parts from 40-50 years ago.   But we do have some data on the original wires (300J).  They were 7mm wire, and evidently the same wire was used on the very early max wedge cars (62-63).  The color has been described as brownish-orange, burnt orange, or just orange.   The distributor boots were black 180 degree straight boots.  The spark plug boots were orange.  Most of the spark plug boots were 90 degree, but #3 was probably 135 degrees or 180 degrees due to the dipstick tube (but 90 degree will work).

No ready made wire sets made today are correct.  I can no longer find a 7mm orange universal wire set or bulk oranage wire.  However, 8mm orange universal wire sets are avaialble as is 8mm orange bulk wire.  If you make your own wires (recommended), I suggest using parts from Ton's performance.  They have orange 8mm wire in the Taylor brand or their own private labeled brand, and the wire is good for 600 degrees F.  The lettering can be removed with lacquer thinner.  Ton's also has the correct boots.   You will need heat sleeves for some of the spark plug boots, but I recommend using sleeves on all eight to protect them from header heat damage.  Ton's has the sleeves as well in orange (and other colors).   Ignition parts and accessories – Ton's Performance (tonsperformance.com)

Carl Bilter
300J consultant