RE: {Chrysler 300} 1960 Cross Ram power brake booster

RE: {Chrysler 300} 1960 Cross Ram power brake booster

As a general proposition I agree with what John is saying. Especially for cars that are not used as daily drivers. My 300K as of today has a completely rebuilt drum system. I have my own brake shoe arc machine and know how to use it. The car is stopping well for a car of this vintage.

That said, yesterday on the highway in traffic with a lot of stopping distance we almost, three car lengths, hit someone. A long line of cars hit the brakes hard and in the .5 seconds it took me to react, another car jumped into my lane and hit their anti-lock brakes as well.  I had to lock the drums up and then back off to get stopped. Directional control was ok, but it did want to pull left a bit.

I am working on a 15-wheel front disc conversion. Mainly for brake fade in the mountains. This is going to be a daily driver for us both until we are dead. If something happens to me, where is my wife going to find someone to do a proper drum brake job? They are all retired or dead. NONE of the shops in California will arc a shoe. In fact one shop I know sent a kid to find me with his cut drums and new shoes!

As to pressure. Yes, one needs to understand fluid pressure as well as fluid volume and displacement. It can be done correctly but one must do the math!

The very short pedal ratio on the power brake cars makes this even more important.  Getting everything to work in harmony takes a lot more work that advertised.

In my case I have done several custom disc brake conversions, so I know what I am getting into. On the 300k, non-ram, I will use one of the larger diameter Master Cylinders that Chrysler used around 1970 to deal with the displacement issue. Now that will affect line pressure.  This is a delicate dance to get the volume-pressure correct.

I have the Midland-Ross pressure curves for the remote power brake boosters. The graphs give me an idea of what pressures they were looking for when it was all drums. I can get a sense of the curve (slope) of the lines and use that to assist me on M/C bore sizes.

If need be, One can use a larger bore M/C to deal with the disc fluid displacement and not having the pedal go down as far and then see if Booster Exchange can change the booster reaction plates to increase the output pressure for 100 pound leg push.

Nothing simple about a conversion.

James