RE: {Chrysler 300} 64 K AC compressor

I heard so many things about bad rebuilds on the RV2’s I decided to rebuild one myself for my 300K.  It is sitting on the bench and will be going into the car in the next month.

The things I have learned:

There were three basic differences in the RV2 compressors.  There is a 9.x cubic inch version and a 10.x cubic inch version. In 1964 both were used.

In the later years, some time in the late 1960’s they made a change in the compressor block. The deleted the oil pressure regulator ball and spring. There are a LOT of reports of rebuilders playing mix and match with the RV2 parts and some people have received a rebuild compressor with a ball and spring block that had no ball and spring. The unit lasted a couple of months then was junk. The stock ball was rubber, I switched that to steel.

I have also heard of one instance were someone got a unit that had the 9.x crankshaft and the 10.x pistons and rods which are shorter and ended up with a too small displacement.

I managed over a month or two to get my hands on a NOS crankshaft, NOS set of rods and pistons, NOS nose piece, NOS reed valves and the like.

The rear crankshaft bearing is a bushing that is VERY hard to change. It has to be removed with a dremel. A real PITA. Most rebuilders do not change it.

The available gaskets for in the connection on the intake and the exhaust do not fit it properly. I found four NOS front, but for the rear I am making them. If you use the steel ones being sold, I suspect they will in time leak as they do not fit well.

Note that the 9.x nose and the 10.x nose used different bearings. They went to a larger diameter bearing on the 10.x unit. I also figured out that you can get the larger nose with the lager bearings and take a 9.x block and make it a 10.x block. The blocks are the same.

I also picked up a ball bore brush from brush research the correct size and gave the block bores a nice cross hatch.

It is not too bad to rebuild. Small and on the bench.

Anyone who wants to talk more about rebuilding one can contact me.

James