{Chrysler 300} Fuel injection on old cars

{Chrysler 300} Fuel injection on old cars

Hi James ,
a few words ; i tried to do all that 5 years ago— I did actually  . First you cannot “ weld”  the tank as it is too thin you blow holes in the thin metal instantly ,  and it warps instantly . it is galvanized ,burns off in and out  plus it is rippled with lines embossed in ( 60 F anyway) so you cannot add a flat plate etc etc . Trying to do that cost me two tanks destroyed , one new . And a month.
I wanted pickup and return in a little box at bottom as is common in race cars . I Over thought all this . Box prevents  starvation of pump , the  overspeed that results can hurt it
I did finally do it by rethinking it, using teflon washers and so called “ bulkhead fittings “ . I soldered the brass washers to the fitting on the one outside the tank . Nut inside
I bought a FiTech system , hot stuff at the time , Porsche pump outside , filters etc Two lines . RPM pickup , bung for O2 ( those punt too ,and very  location sensitive)
Used the old suction pipe as a vent .  Did not want return spraying around inside making gas vapor .

All along  had late night misgivings about complexity , safety and failure modes . Any of this punts on road you are done  for .

No one can help you . Tow . To where?

Then I started reading about fires with high pressure fuel , etc etc and a guy killed by fire at drag race when clutch explosion severed FI  fuel line . Bad way to go  .
I had mine inside frame at times most of way but still . Thought about steel pipe sleeves.I had run up firewall
like they show you to do.  Don’t want to be toasted critter .

Time passed , years. —- maybe a month or two of effort had gone into all this and its details back then . Wiring complicated to slow pump depending on need otherwise screaming at full output . Poor info on all that , regulator or not  etc etc After a while I felt just not ready for prime time on my car in general . OK on oem , And  Holley  is in this business now .

But i read one day in Hot Rod of a low dollar Ford  460 build ( offset grind con rod journals  Chevy journals / rods etc .Got up over 500 cubic inch . ( I always  liked that motor) .Aluminum heads.  Point  is 600 ho 600 ft lb . maybe 5k$ . That’s 225 hp  more than ram car , with one simple carb that costs less than a rebuild of carbs.

But critical :— for $ reasons  They used a Brawler carb ( low end holley) and remarked they were amazed with AF senders on each cylinder it was perfect A/F ratio across ALL operating ranges . (!!!) Out of box,they  touched nothing ) .Did not have to . Air flow is air flow …. any motor , was my thought

They further remarked that carbs are extremely accurate  now , order  of magnitude better accuracy than our AFB , due to computer modeling of flows etc arising out of pollution control efforts . Add in it is  calibrated for ethanol gas , which our  300 are not , so ours will run a bit lean . You may get there , ” Tuning” I doubt it . And I have a life to live , not stressed by fighting with  old inaccurate carbs. —- That seem to end up rich to run at all .
So I did a 180 , removing all the FI stuff , who needs all these hassles and  failure modes especially . And unfixable even by a holley engineer for weeks if it acts up . plus fire . Plus computer BS . And related intermittents.
No thanks . Good in a toyota as an engineered system .
Good thing to talk about , hard to decide . Ignore hype , think for yourself ….
Hope this helps ; your tank stays as it is . Engine too .
nice thought , right?
Spare carb in trunk if worried. Save 2-3 k and months of time …
jg

Sent from my iPhone