RE: {Chrysler 300} 64 300 TORSION BARS

Dave & All:

See: Page 2-8 at:  Front Suspension Page (jholst.net) This suggests different torsion bars for ’64 Chryslers with the HD suspension—which was standard on ram K’s and optional on those with the Firepower 360 engine.  Two ways to get stiffer springs—alloying or thickness.  I’m guessing Chrysler chose the thicker option for the torsion bars as well as the anti-sway bars.

In theory, torsion bars do not wear out or break as they are designed to operate at low enough stress levels to run forever.  Damage, manufacturing defects and the overall difficulty of manufacturing crack-free steel may limit torsion bar life.  I bought a new Valiant in spring of ’61 and had a torsion bar failure in Spring of ’63 after a few years of Omaha salt acting on an opening in the exterior coating on the bar.

Pits or gouges on highly-stressed may raise stress levels by a factor of 5five near the pit.  Classic conchoidal fatigue failure followed with the last cycle as I was backing out of a parking space.  TBTG.

Removed both ends of the bar and tootled off to the dealer for a warranty replacement.

What experience have  other readers had with broken/sagging torsion bars?

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA—getting a late blast of cool air and rain in the Bay Area of CA..