{Chrysler 300} 1964 300K Dash step down voltage regulator alteration

{Chrysler 300} 1964 300K Dash step down voltage regulator alteration

Hello all,

Since I had ussies back in the day with my other 300K’s with the gas gauge mounted step down transformer, the bi-metallic type, I decided to go with an external type that I could change without pulling the dash.

I am going with a digital unit. I also made a small wiring harness so I can mount the unit at the bottom of the dash someplace convenient.

One of the tricky items it to disable the existing unit. Normally one bends the bi-metallic arm. What I did, with another set of hands, was to slip two little pieces of heat shrink tubing over the arm. It was working and I hate to destroy a working part. You never know….

I used a 3/8 inch piece of popsicle stick to hold the face away enough for two of us to reach in. One to hold the arm off and one to place the heat shrink.

I bench tested it, with the resistor the seller sends along for the test and the fuel gauge went almost all the way to full. A little bit below that. Could be the resistor he sent is a little different than what a “C” body uses or that year uses. Other than that is gave the proper step down voltage.

See the photos attached.

James

PS. I noted that the MOPAR gauge nuts has their zinc coating starting to show their age and tarnish. I replaced all of them with stainless steel nuts as well as gave everything a good squirt of that $30 a little spray can of De-Ox. I can see the resistance in these parts to be an issue over time.

---