RE: {Chrysler 300} 56 (12v) radio questions

RE: {Chrysler 300} 56 (12v) radio questions

Hello, Jack:

If you have not already done so, you need to have the C-300 converted to  a12-Volt negative ground to power the new radio.  I have a 1964 T&C radio out and it is marked as a MoPar 415 radio (picture attached).  Wiring at a similar radio would include a black wire with a 7.5-Amp inline fuse and connected to the ACC stud on the ignition switch..  The radio should have a separate wire for its lights-likely an orange wire connection to the dimmable connector on thei nstrument light dimmer switch on the dash.  There are is a brown pair of wires to the front speaker and a five-pin receptacle for a rear speaker plug—or a jumper if no rear speaker.   The radio may have a small RCA-type jack on the back, into which a foot switch which can be connected to trigger the station changer.  And, of course, a socket to accept the antenna lead.

The speakers may need replacing if they are the originals as the paper ages.  The pictures on Page 616 of the 1955 FSM show these connections to the ’55 radio.

If your new radio is only AM, you can add an external converter or have the basic radio internals replaced with modern AM-FM capability.

If you would like, you can tell me if your C-300 has been converted to 12-Volt negative ground and what changes might have been made to the ignition switch, headlight switch and speakers, And whether you have or want a rear speaker, I could make you a rough sketch.  A photo of the back of your radio would help.  My Christmas present to you.

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA