RE: [Chrysler300] Hemmings Daily 300G stick coupe

RE: [Chrysler300] Hemmings Daily 300G stick coupe

Hi Tom,

Seems like yesterday, but long ago…More to it, ---on Route 2 East at Bowling alley, we had stripe across road , Cambridge . Mass State Cop got both of us that night , had been behind us at light. …he was a car guy in 406 Ford cruiser, 421 Poncho parked behind me (proof I won ) , cop behind him, lights on  --he gives him a ticket (600$ for racing) . Cop comes up to me and goes “what you got in this thing, it goes pretty good? ‘300D 392 stick, Packard OD, 3:70 ”  Wow “ would it take my cruiser? “  What , are you kidding me?” we both start laughing…Fords were dogs..BAD wheel hop off the line.  Mopar really good at that, nice take off, easy . Bucrons. ( I used to yell at Chevies ’Bog or Burn?” as light went green; they would,  too). He says “go on home; I hate Pontiacs !” no ticket,(!!!!)  he became a good friend , waved at me from cruiser. Need friends like that..

That Pontiac Ventura had that thin coupe roof, ?8 bolt aluminum wheels , Honduras Maroon , 4 speed,  white leather inside , buckets. Gorgeous car. Only Pontiac I ever liked. Much better looking and smaller than GTO

For Ford camp there was a guy there, name was I think Jim Boring (?) never talked to him, but he had about a 500” full house 430 Lincoln in a 55 bird. Quite a handful..fast car. Vaguely remembering him racing in 3rd gear only..trans problems  . I think it was a T 85 trans;

few Mopars,  hundreds of 55-63 chev. Mopars included chopped pink 34 Ford coupe with 331 , 58 Dodge D500 regal lancer B block( nice car too, bronze and white) 61 Sonoramic 383 Plymouth wagon stick, 59 sport fury 361 stick, 300B . Later on, a Plymouth 426 max wedge, but I was out of this by then..On to Triumph 650 bike.. 1” stroker Harley could beat all the cars.

Old (?40’s) red rusty International pick up, brooms standing up in back , single 1.5 “ exhaust with holes , rusted, hanging down, loose. (all fake) Those brooms bolted down ! Had full house 401 Buick in it, went like hell. T bucket with 322 Buick, 6 carbs too.

Another guy had two identical 56 Plymouth converts , green and grey two tone. ( never saw even one since) One a rat,  smoke pouring out we called him old smokey. Stock 270 Plymouth?  Other one had a full house 413 in it, he had copper pipes into exhaust manifold of 413 to make it smoke too, hand pump under dash. He would act stupid, make bets for 25-100 $ , meet you at light, get other car, and win. All this centered on Big Burger ranch, a twin to American Graffiti place..and chev guys at Donuts Please across the street.

That 62 dodge max wedge was from Springfield mass..some kind of special package, tan color, thin windows,  no back seat, ?fiberglass bumpers, no radio, 3 speed had a handle as tall as dash, but moved about 3”  , 3;55---- he was still at top of second gear, when 409 blew up in 3rd, he was about 3 feet in front of 425 409 with 4:11,  about 100 feet from end of quarter when it blew. 409 guy knew if he grabbed 4th he was toast. Guy talked to me , he had window sticker; so cool. It said “WARNING: Maximum performance vehicle: No warrantee ; for race use only”. Big,  about a foot square.

This went on every night..for a few years…We called it Route 2 Timing Association. Or, “Lake St lights”… Wish I could go there tonight ! ~10 Pm till 2AM ..Fastest car I ever built though was 55 Healey Lemans,  with way set back ?63 300Hp 327 chev, .aluminum T 10 4 spd.  Driveshaft 6” between U joints. Almost killed me. Jag XK 120 rear end, wire wheels . Healy rear lasted one take off.

300 C,D,F nice an peaceful..Later, on  new Challenger RT 383 in 68 and 440 magnum Challenger convert RT in 70 , not as much fun as the old stuff. Times change…..

PS, in 62 Mass State cops had green and white cross ram 426 Chrysler ? Newport? wagons ,on mass pike only. They caught a cobra, “150 mph” made the papers ; wonder what that engine was? 400hp H ? They rattled and shook, headlights bouncing up and down at idle. Need that anti rattle spring!