Re: [Chrysler300] Hemmings Daily 300G stick coupe

Re: [Chrysler300] Hemmings Daily 300G stick coupe

Yes, the AMA specs for 300G confirm the 3-speed manual was standard with the 400-hp engine and optional with the 375-hp engine.

I don't know where the figure of 14 came from, but I've seen it before and it's not verified. Gil told me in 2006 he estimated 39 to 48 stick Gs. Don't know if that has changed.

We can infer from the results that four 400-hp Gs ran Flying Mile at Daytona, plus a couple 375-hp Gs - perhaps Torqueflite cars (per Burt Bouwkamp.) And yes one G ran faster than the F in 1960 and would have broken the record but was disqualified for losing a chrome strip.

So the rest of the 3-speed Gs were predominantly standard 375-hp engine cars.

You can see in the photo that the G at auction is a 375-hp. This is corroborated in its build record. It is a known car. So, it's not a NASCAR spec, etc. The "281 code" does not indicate anything more than the transmission. There is indeed evidence that it was some sort of press car, but not the (also red 3-speed) car pictured in Motor Trend and Motor Life as was once claimed years ago.

To that point, I don't know why they are saying it is a Borg Warner transmission. The parts book shows 300Gs had the Chrysler-made New Process A-745 which was an all-new for 1961 heavy-duty 3-speed manual transmission that was used perhaps up to 1971. As a press car, I'm sure Chrysler wanted the press to drive the all-new transmission, not some obscure one-off B-W fitment.

300ly,
Andy M.