Re: [Chrysler300] We're just fuming!

Well, isn't that interesting!  I went and checked out the trunk seal
just now by closing the lid with a $1 bill inserted into the seal area,
and I found a gap between the lid and gasket around something like 50
percent of the whole perimeter.  Heck, some of the gap was so big that I
was even able to slide a $20 bill in there.

I adjusted the latch about 3/16" and now just about the whole perimeter
has no gap anymore - probably only about a foot or two of it remains
open.  So I think that lowering the passenger side front corner 1/16"
and installing a brand new gasket ought to put to bed both the water
leak and the fume problems with one easy solution.

Thanks for helping me think this one through guys.  You got me looking
the right place for the problem source.

Keith Boonstra

-

On 2/18/2012 4:25 PM, Keith Boonstra wrote:
> We had plenty of rain at the Lake George Meet and anybody who was there
> was offered the opportunity to grab a bar of soap and take a bath in my
> trunk. Several have suggested that's where the fumes are entering, and
> it makes sense. In a couple of months I'm going to climb in the trunk
> with a flashlight and have someone work a garden hose from bottom to top
> and see what's going on with that seal.
>
> Bet that'll do 'er.
>
> Thanks.
> Keith
>
> -
>
> On 2/18/2012 3:52 PM, Anthony Rinaldi wrote:
>> Hi To All,
>>
>> A downdraft tube, on the passenger side valve cover, was used thru the
>> early 60s. On a hot day with the windows open there can be a definite
>> smell inside the car cabin dependent upon ambient conditions
>> especially if there is a wind blowing or not and from what direction.
>> Ask my wife with her unusually good sense of smell. She would tell
>> you, she told me!
>>
>> A PCV valve fixes that condition. Of course that would not be stock.
>> The other option would be to replace the DDT with another oil breather
>> cap. That caused a 300 Club member's engine to blow up on a newly
>> rebuilt engine.
>>
>> Tony Rinaldi
>> 300-F Conv't

> For list server instructions, go to http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm