[Chrysler300] '63 300 Mystery Shifting Issues

[Chrysler300] '63 300 Mystery Shifting Issues

Hi All,

I have recently seen some unusual behavior from my '63 300 push-button shifter and/or transmission.
Here are some of the symptoms:

1) Reverse works fine, but when the Drive button is pushed, the vehicle won't  move or there is a delay to get in Drive.

2) Yesterday I backed it out of the garage.  When I tried to start it to pull it back in, it would not crank.
After pushing all the buttons, still no cranking.  I 'hot-wired' it by touching the solenoid with a screwdriver.
It started up, but  I think it was still in Reverse even when the push button was in Neutral.
Finally it went into Drive and I pulled it in the garage.

This seems like perhaps a spring in the shifter assembly has broken or something similiar?

The transmission shifts fine when it is on the road with no problems.

3)  Now it is back in the garage and will not crank.
When I turn the key, the Oil light goes dim.

I have a replacement shifter, but would like some ideas before I tear the dash apart.
The cable has not recently been adjusted and the trans shifting from 1st-2nd-3rd has been no problem.

Thanks,
Mark Lindahl
'63 300 Conv.

P.S.  The trans was rebuilt about 20 years ago and has shown no problems until now.  About 30,000 miles on rebuilt trans.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)