RE: [Chrysler300] Soft Plugs Revisited -- Two Losses

RE: [Chrysler300] Soft Plugs Revisited -- Two Losses

The best clues to blowing a freeze/core plug is the sudden loss of near all cooling water over maybe 5-20 seconds is both the huge cloud of water/vapour, plus the accompanying smell of coolant on hot exhaust.

If you miss this, over the next couple of minutes the motor will get hot, then maybe start to detonate/ping/knock badly, lose power, then maybe seize.

Usually however a freeze plug only blows under hard acceleration - where sudden high revs occur for a period, such as kicking back a gear, and holding it.

Best advice I can offer is visually check your plugs - if they seem fairly flat, have most of the outward curve flattened in, but not so far they dish in, then they may be right. They are held in by the tension caused by flattening them - when installed right, if you tap them lightly with such as a light hammer, you will hear the tension on them, it has a sort of ring, that is not there when tension not on them.

Wrongly installed freeze/core plugs are likely the fastest way to ruin a motor - you can only drive on for maybe a minute at low revs once you blow one, then as said a few weeks ago, the car likely will need to go on a hoist to replace it/one. If you blow one on a trip - you have a real nightmare scenario, that if you don't seize the motor before you realise. "Snap On" likely make the special tool you can install them with correctly, but I do not know - maybe some US Member can check and see, and report back on Club Website how it works if motor in car, and what it costs, and if different one needed for each different size plug - I think it will only be useable if motor out, and it easy to get at every plug.

Christopher Australia