Re: [Chrysler300] K Troubles

I have a friend with a Petronix unit he recently placed on his 1965 300 convertible after restoring it.  First the Petronix unit failed at fairly low mileage and then their "special" coil failed after that.  Then one day after replacing both of those not long ago, the car wouldn't even start. His solution was to go back to the original distributor setup with points and condenser, and no problems since.  I have no idea why anyone would want to use a Petronix unit given this experience.  There is little else more reliable than a good old points/condenser system, given the alternate aftermarket electronic solutions available for these cars IMO.  Even the early electronic ignition units Chrysler started producing in production circa 1971 were no good.
Steve Albu

---- News4ge@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Some diagnostic help would be appreciated.
>
> Friday, I took out the ram K.  It started right up and ran great.  I stopped at a store, and when I started it again, it was running on 7.  It continued like this for a few miles, then it just shut off at 45 mph- not even a sputter, just stopped running.  It would turn over, but not a cylinder would fire.  A guy who said he's a mechanic stopped and put a tester on it and said there was power to the coil, but none coming out, so it's a bad coil.  The coil is only a year old.  Since all 8 weren't firing before it stopped, could it be a problem with the Pertronix unit?  (The coil is also a Pertronix, though not as old as the ignition unit).  The guy who looked at it said there are some wires going to the distributor, which are not in good shape, and might have caused the coil to short out.  Would this be a possibility?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> George Clineman

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional