RE: [Chrysler300] Zinc plating 300C bonnet latch

RE: [Chrysler300] Zinc plating 300C bonnet latch

I too have a bad news '300C story' re my earlier post re plating risks of embrittlement and the risks of putting non similar metals (stainless steel etc) against/atop each other.

There is a tap next to my driver 300C, and with no rain recently, and sick of epic rubbing back a car prior to paint, I thought it less strain/effort if I spend a few mins and water my many pot plants that are much like life where they just don't do much, except look sometimes sad/die.

As I push the hose end onto the quick snap connector on the taphead, the whole head breaks off the copper pipe, water shoots everywhere, but amazingly not onto the 300C just 2 feet next to it. I rush to turn water off at main, and won't bore the list the fixing it, but in telling a car friend who is 2nd generation plumber he might have been handy, he tells me that iron pipe fitings put(screwed on) by unknowing other plumbers onto copper pipe is one of life's big mistakes - the iron and copper 'electrolise', and as copper won't rust, it is the iron the eats itself away in no time. This one sure had eaten away inside to nothing, except it also near totally blocked by rust mass/lump.

So ther you are all 300 lovers, it seems not only on cars/300s, is it not real clever to use dis-similar metals, but in plumbing. The things we learn before we die !!!??

Have a good weekend - anyone see that at Mecum's current mega Indy Auction the white w red 413 Ramcharger 60s Dodge convert went for just under $30k, the 300D a maybe no sale, and the dual quad 413 Plymouth Ramcharger 'one of one convert survivor', bid up a fair bit more?! And Shelby Mustang fastback values seem to be still coming down a fair bit?? Any thoughts.

Christopher in Australia